Young Carers in schools facts:
- There are over 370,000 carers in Wales
- There are approximately 1,374 young carers in Bridgend
- The average age of a young carer is 12
- Young adult carers miss on average 48 school days a year because of their caring role
- Young adult carers were four times more likely to drop out of college or university than students who were not young adult carers
- 35% of young carers have not told anyone at school that they are a carer
- One quarter reported bullying and abuse in school because they were a carer
We are able to support Primary and Secondary schools across Bridgend to support young carers in the education.
We can do this through delivering assemblies or awareness raising lessons, staff training, setting up a young carers group, identifying and supporting young carers champions. We can also offer one to one sessions to support young carers in schools.
If you are a member of staff from a school and would like to participate in the young carers in schools project please contact Rhian Bennett on email@example.com or 01656 658479.
'The Bear Who Struggled to Care'
'The Bear who Struggled to Care' is a book about caring written by Bridgend Young Carers.
The book can be purchased in English or Welsh and costs £4.99 plus 99p p & p. All proceeds go towards projects which support Young Carers and Young Adult Carers in Bridgend.
To purchase the book follow the link below.